Here are three considerations when signing a painting:
- You want to make it blend in with your art, not conflict.
- We tend to expect to see signatures in the lower right hand corner.
- If right hand corner is too busy, try the lower left hand corner.
- When deciding on a hue and value for the signature, consider how much attention you want to bring to your signature
- The greater the contrast with the painting, the signature might be intrusive
- Select a hue or value that is commensurate with the tones of the painting.
- Consider using a colour from the painting.
- Sign in the same medium in which you created the painting
- Make it easy to read
- Keep the style consistent from painting to painting
- Try not to make your signature too overbearing that it detracts from your work.
Here is a painting from Chris Forsey
Danielle (aka beaulieud)