Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mounting your watercolours on a wood panel

Lately, I've been noticing that local galleries no longer sell all paintings in traditional frames. Floating frames and canvasses with black sides are the "in thing". Also at recent art shows, I've sold more watercolours mounted on wood panel than in frames with glass.
Last Spring, I started gluing my watercolours to wood panel. The first one I tried was a triptych. Here is a photo of it hanging in a local gallery.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of daisies

At recent art shows, I've been getting lots of questions from other watercolorists on how to do this. Therefore, today's blog is about the process that I use to affix watercolours to wood panel.


1. Painting your watercolour
For large surfaces that are greater than 10" X 12", I suggest that you use 300 lbs paper. When I have used 140 lbs paper on a large wood panel, I have had mixed results with the paper buckling. Ensure that your finished painting is slightly larger (about 1/2 inch - 1.25 cm) than the wood panel Before starting, trace the outline of the wood panel on your paper and extend the lines to the edge of the paper. These lines will be used later line up the wood panel on the back of your painting. Now paint your masterpiece.

2. Prepping the wood panel
First apply Golden's GAC 100 Multi-Purpose Acrylic Polymer the top of the wood panel. When dry, it will seal the top surface and have a rough texture.  Next you finish the sides of the wood panel. Here are two options:
  • you can apply a clear acrylic water-based varnish such as MinWax Polycrylic finish which dries fast.
       or
  • you can paint the sides with a color such as black. I apply two to three coats of Golden's carbon black acrylic paint to the sides of the panel. I add a bit of water to paint to obtain a softer consistency to provide smoother sides. Sand the sides with a fine grit (220) sandpaper between coats and be sure to wipe any drips.
3. Gluing the finished watercolour painting to the wood panel
Ensure you are working on a very clean surface. Before gluing, you must first indicate on the back of the painting where the wood panel will be placed. I'm sure there are a number of ways to do this. Here is my approach: 
  • 3a - To mark the back of the painting, I start on the front of the painting by extending the lines of the painting  (lines from step 1) to the edge of the paper. Then I cut a small notch on the lines.
  • 3b - Turn the painting over and using the cut notches on the back of the painting, mark the lines where the edge of the wood panel will be glued.

  • 3c - I've been using Golden's Soft gel as an adhesive. The soft gel gives you a few more seconds than regular gels to adjust the wood panel to the paper should you need to adjust it. Apply generous amounts of the soft gel with a flat brush to the entire surface of the wood panel where you first applied GAC 100 Multi-Purpose Acrylic Polymer. Now turn the wood panel over and line it up with your markings. Turn the wood panel over again and push out any air bubble under your painting. I use my pastry roller for this step. If anything doesn't stick well, lift paper and apply more gel. Turn the wood panel over again and place several weights on top of it and let it sit overnight. This will press the paper tightly to the wood panel surface.  Using a paper towel, remove the excess gel from the sides of the panel where is meets the paper.
4. Trimming the extra paper
Once the glue is dry, you can carefully trim the extended edge of the paper with a sharp utility knife. Putting another piece of paper underneath ensures a cleaner cut.

5. Finishing the sides of the paper
You'll note that the white sides of the paper stand out and are distracting. This is especially true of 300 lbs paper. Using the same diluted Golden's carbon black acrylic paint as the sides of the wood panel, paint the sides of the paper. This is the step that makes me nervous since my hands shake. The more parallel the brush is to the sides of the wood panel, the least likely the paint will make its way to the front of the painting.

Note: I have not found a way to remove this acrylic paint from watercolour paper if the paint finds its way to the front.

6. Finish the painting
Since the painting is not protected by glass, you should finish the watercolor with several light coats of spray varnish. I use Kylon's UV Archival varnish. This spray varnish offers non-yellowing protection against fading, dirt, moisture and discoloration.

I hear that some people use wax to protect their watercolours. However, I do not know if that approach offers UV protection and if it tends to collect dust. Wax needs to be buffed after a period of time.

7. Hanging the painting
The final step requires that you attach D-rings and wire to the back of the wood panel for hanging.

I wish you good luck if you attempt this approach to framing your watercolours and feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

If you wish to enter a mounted watercolour into an exhibit, this approach may not be accepted as many watercolour societies still insist that watercolours be shown with mat and glass in frame. This is the case for some of the shows of the Ottawa Watercolour Society.

This week's art find is not an artist but an Australian TV company that produces some great videos showcasing some well know international artists.  The videos are now available on this Youtube channel.   In particular, you might like this one with the Three Amigos. Enjoy, I know I will.

Have a good week,
Danielle
  

1 comment:

  1. Nicely explained Danielle. Love your painting in the gallery! -Neal

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.