Saturday, April 16, 2016

Differences in blues

If you're like me, you probably own too many tubes of different blues but use the same ones over and over.

My favourite is ultramarine blue because it is a warm blue with a purple bias rather than a green bias. In addition,  it produces lovely granulating effects.

Lately, I've been using cobalt blue. This one is closest to primary blue since is it neither "greenish" nor "purplish".  I also has the advantage that is lefts well.

In the category of dark blues, Indigo is my go to colour. Unfortunately, I've recently learned that it is not light fast.  I enjoy mixing this one with sap greens to use as background to florals or deep forest.  When mixed with quinacridone gold, it produces lovely earthy greens.

I also enjoy Maimeriblu's Berlin blue which is a rich colour to make gorgeous greens.


I've heard that cerulean varies from brand to brand but generally behaves as a cool blue making bright greens.

Phthalo Blue is a cool and staining blue and is available in Green Shade and Red Shade versions. This blue is transparency, staining or non granulating properties.

I also ave Prussian blue and Indanthrone Blue but have rarely used them.

Manganese Blue is famous for painting snow effects.

This chart shows the warmth and cool tendencies of some of the blues
This link has much technical information about blues: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterb.html

Today's artist find is Roberto Zangarelli
Have a great week
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.