Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Annotated Mona Lisa - Book Review

Anyone interested to learn more about painting and sculpture, to increase your understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment of art? One way to do so is to study its history, both to discover relatively unknown works and to deepen your knowledge of works already familiar. Your library or online book store contains thousands of books on art history. I selected a book entitled “The Annotated Mona Lisa – A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post Modern” by Carol Strickland, after listening to a podcast early last Fall.

This book is written for a wide audience. Even Forbes magazine book club urges "the world's business leaders" to read The Annotated Mona Lisa, and be "smart about art." This very illustrated book has been in print since 2007.

Although I only started painting a few years ago, I have always enjoyed observing art in galleries and museums in any country I visit, but due to my understanding of its history, technique, and culture, I have been limited from fully appreciating art. The Annotated Mona Lisa gives an excellent overview of art history of the Western world from Pre-Classical to Postmodern. The author takes us era by era, key artist by key artist, introducing the historical events that caused shifts in technique and expression, and providing brief biographies of the most notable artists.

The book does not go into extensive detail about any of the artists or movements, but provides a great base for anyone interested in learning more about art history in general. The level of detail was perfect for me.

I must admit to have taken some time in reading this book, compared to many other art books. I was never an avid reader of any type of history. However, after having read "The Annotated Mona Lisa" I feel that I better understand paintings, painters, and the historical backgrounds that shaped them all. At least now when I hear words like futurism, neoclassicism or fauvism, I have some general idea on what they refer to.

Do you have a favorite art history book?

This week's art find is 19th century's  Winslow Homer. He was perhaps the most important watercolorist of the 19th century.  He was also largely self-taught painter who embraced watercolour.
Winslow Homer
Have a great week,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.