Saturday, August 01, 2015

Practice Paper

I read an interesting online discussion this week.  The topic was the brand of paper to use for watercolour practice.

For those who like to practice watercolour painting regularly and are reluctant to pay a lot for watercolour paper, the cost of paper can add up?  Do you consider buying cheaper paper? Many from the online discussion recommended buying cheaper paper.
 
What are some of the better options?
  • use the other side of any painting you don't like
  • find an economical practice paper such as Fabriano Watercolour 280gm 130 lb paper which is cheaper that Fabriano Artistico 140lb.
  • use paper from a good manufacturer and cut down the full sheet  to 1/4's and 1/8's and that you can paint on both sides makes it affordable. 
  • Search for sales on paper.
Some people believe that practicing on cheaper paper, like Strathmore. In my opinion, paper is most important watercolour tool. When starting out you may use a good brand of student paints like Cotman, but don't skimp on the paper.

In the end you don't want to develop techniques based on cheap paper. You just end up having to un-learn them when you decide to paint on good paper.
 
You would only be setting yourself up for a lot of frustration by practicing on anything other than quality watercolour paper. For one thing, when you try to apply what you learned on a different surface in the future, the result will be different and you'll have to re-learn the skill or technique all over again.

This weeks artistic find is Tim Saternow.
Tim Saternow watercolour
Have a great
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. I agree that practicing on sub-standard watercolor paper is a bad idea. I just returned from a travel workshop in Cornwall, where I did a couple of the artist's exercises on a Strathmore 140# cold press WC block. I was using my usual DaVinci artists quality watercolors, and I could not produce four distinct tonal values to save my life! The tones looked flat and too similar on the Strathmore. I thought, "This can't be right," so I did some color charts with the 15 colors I had brought. Same result. Flat, listless watercolor with little separation in tonal values.

    When I switched to Arches 140# cold press and re-did the exercises, I had no trouble getting multiple tonal values, rich color, and depth of field. I'm giving my cheaper watercolor paper away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience. I started with Strathmore. Then one day I bought Fabriano Artistico and never went back because instantly, my paintings improved. The only Strathmore I use is the pre-fabricated cards.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.